Chronology of Naga Political Developments – Part One
1826: The British annexed Assam in 1826.
1832– First contact between the British and the Nagas when Captain Jenkins and Lieutenant Pemberton escorted by Raja Gumbeer Singh‘s Manipur troops forced a passage through the Naga areas for a strategic survey of road communication between Assam and Manipur.
- (January: Captain Francis Jerkins and RB Pemperton with 700 Manipuri troops and 800 coolies marched through Mao and Angami villages from Imphal to reach Assam).
1866: Creation of Naga Hills district
- The Naga Hills district was created in 1866 by the Government of British India and Naga Hills became a district of Assam Province with its headquarters at Samaguting (present day Chumukedima).
- The first police outpost was established in the Naga Hills at Samaguting in 1866, which was later shifted to Kohima in 1888.