A brief summary of the Naga Tribes of Nagaland and their primary place of habitation in Nagaland.
The word ‘Naga‘ is a vaguely defined umbrella term for several indigenous communities in North-East India and Western Burma. In India, Nagas are found in:
- four Districts in Manipur,
- one District in Assam and
- two Districts in Arunachal Pradesh.
In addition to this, many Nagas also inhabit Western parts of Myanmar (Burma).
List of recognized Scheduled Tribes in Nagaland
Nagaland is a hilly state in the North East of India and is home to several tribes. Nagaland has five communities notified as Scheduled Tribes. These are the recognized Scheduled Tribes in Nagaland.
- Nagas (Indigenous of Nagaland)
- Kachari (Indigenous of Nagaland)
- Kuki (Indigenous of Nagaland)
- Garo (Indigenous of Nagaland)
- Mikhir (Indigenous of Nagaland)
List of recognized Naga Tribes in Nagaland:
As per the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms post on its website in 2016 citing Home Department notification of 2009 , there were 14 officially recognized Naga Tribes in Nagaland. After the recognition of Tikhir as a separate Naga tribe in Jan. 2022, there should now be 15 recognized Naga tribes in Nagaland as given below.
(1) Angami,(2) Ao, (3) Chakhesang, (4) Chang, (5) Khiamniungan , (6) Konyak , (7) Lotha , (8)Phom, (9) Pochury, (10) Rengma, (11) Sangtam , (12) Sumi , (13)Tikhir, (14) Yimchunger , (15) Zeliang
Tikhir Naga Tribe was a sub-tribe under Yimchunger (now Yimkhiung) tribe before the recognition of Tikhir as a Naga Tribe by Govt. of Nagaland in 2022.
Districts of Nagaland and inhabitants:
[Note: If you are viewing this on mobile device, swipe / scroll horizontally on the table to see all columns]
[To be Updated]
|District / Territory||Major Tribes / Primary Inhabitants|
|Tuensang||Chang, Sangtam, Yimkhiung|
|Kiphire||Yimkhiung, Sangtam, Sumi|
- The tribes and districts listed above is just an indication of the primary inhabitants of the districts. There are some tribes which are also found in multiple districts. For example: Kiphire is inhabited by Yimchungrü, Sangtam and Sumi Naga tribes.
- Some Naga tribes listed above can be found in across several states and in Myanmar also.
- The term Naga is a generic term which includes various tribes generally found inhabiting Nagaland, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Myanmar (Burma). The above list is only the tribes in Nagaland.