NAGALAND CURRENT AFFAIRS DIGEST – NOVEMBER 2020
03 November 2020
Bye-poll in two Assembly seats of Nagaland begins
- The two Assembly Seats where the bye poll is being held:
- “14-Southern Angami-1” and
- “60-Pungro Kiphire”.
- Reason for the bye-poll: Both the seats fell vacant following the demise of the sitting legislators.
- In ‘14-Southern Angami-1’ due to the death of Shri.Vikho-o Yhoshu (Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leader and Nagaland Assembly Speaker).
- Whereas, in Pungro-Kiphire seat due to the death of Shri. T Torechu (Naga People’s Front (NPF) MLA.
- Candidates for 14-Southern Angami-1:
- Medo Yhokha (NDPP(ruling))
- Kikovi Kirha (NPF(opposition)) and
- Seyievilie Peter Zashumo (Independent )
- Candidates for Pungro-Kiphire:
- Khaseo Anar (Congress)
- Lirimong Sangtam ( BJP) and
- three Independents – K. Shellumthong, T. Yangseo Sangtam and Kiusumew Yimchunger
07 Nov, 2020
Re-election in two polling stations of the Pungro-Kiphire assembly in Nagaland
- Re-election in two polling stations of the Pungro-Kiphire assembly in Nagaland.
- Re-election at the following polling stations – Kipongya Ward ‘A’ ( 779 electorates) and 11-Singrep ( 947 voters).
- Reason for re-election:
- The bye-poll was held in the Pungro-Kiphire seat in the Kiphire district on 03 November 2020. But Election Commission Nagaland declared the votes as void, following disturbance of the peaceful atmosphere.
08 Nov, 2020
Nagaland’s Hornbill Festival to be celebrated virtually
- The annual Hornbill Festival in Nagaland to be celebrated virtually this year amid the surge in COVID-19 cases in the country. As per media reports, the Hornbill Festival will be telecast through audiovisual media channels and social media platforms this time.
07 November 2020
First COVID-19 death reported in Tuensang district
- Tuensang District in Nagaland reported its first COVID-19 death on Saturday, November 07, 2020 as per press release by DC Tuensang, Kumar Ramnikant, IAS.
- Reportedly, the victim died on Friday, November 6, 2020 and was tested positive after death by Rapid Antigen Test on November 7, 2020.
10 November 2020
Nagaland bypolls election 2020 result: NDPP wins Southern Angami-I, Independent wins Pungro-Kiphire
- In Southern Angami-I seat, Medo Yhokha (Ruling NDPP nominee) won the seat with 4,773 votes defeating his nearest rival Independent candidate Seyievilie Peter Zashumo by a margin of 598 votes.
- The by-election at Southern Angami-I was held on 03 November 2020 as it fell vacant due to the death of MLA Vikho-o Yhoshu, who was also the speaker of Nagaland Legislative Assembly.
[Shri. Medo Yhokha, of Kigwema village (Kohima district), is the former president of the Angami Students’ Union and Angami Youth Organisation. He was also the Press and Information Secretary of the Angami Public Organisation and Chairman of the Inner Line Regulation Committee of Naga Students’ Federation.He was also the Public Relations Officer of Vikho-o Yhoshu until his death.]
- In Pungro-Kiphire, T. Yangseo Sangtam (Independent) won the seat with 8,747 votes, defeating his nearest rival S. Kiusumew Yimchunger(Independent) by a margin of 1,527 votes. The bypoll election in Pungro-Kiphire was necessitated due to the death of NPF MLA T. Torechu.