A brief history of formation of Nagaland State and its districts.
The major part of what is now Nagaland (excluding its eastern side consisting of Tuensang and Mon Districts) was formerly known as Naga Hills, a District of Assam under the Bengal Presidency under the British Rule.
The District of Naga Hills was opened in 1866 with its headquarters at Samaguting in the west in the foothills about 15 km away from Dimapur. Later the district headquarters was shifted to Wokha in 1876 and two years later in 1878, the headquarter of the Naga Hills was shifted to Kohima on 14 November 1878.
The first police outpost was established in the Naga Hills at Samaguting in 1866. The police outpost was later shifted to Kohima in 1888, and later upgraded to Police station in 1933.
North-East Frontier Tract (NEFT)
In 1914, some tribal-majority areas were separated from the former Darrang and Lakhimpur districts of Assam Province of British India to form the North-East Frontier Tract (NEFT). The NEFT was initially divided into two sections:
(i) the Central & Eastern Section (made up of the former Dibrugarh Frontier Tract (created in 1884) and some more areas in the South) and (ii) the Western Section. Each section was placed under a political officer.
In 1919, the Central and Eastern Section was renamed the Sadiya Frontier Tract, and the Western Section was renamed the Balipara Frontier Tract.
After the independence of India in 1947, NEFT became a part of Assam state.
First Police Station and SP office in Naga Hills District
1933: The first police outpost was established in the Naga Hills at Samaguting in 1866. The police outpost was later shifted to Kohima in 1888, and later upgraded to Police station in 1933. Thus, the first Police Station established in the Naga Hills was in 1933 at Kohima (at the present day North PS). The First Officer-in-Charge was Sub-Inspector I. Chetia.
1939: Police station established in Dimapur.
1953: First Superintendent of Police (SP) Office established in Naga Hills District at Kohimaon 28 December 1953 with Shri. Kumar Randip Singh, IPS as the first Superintendent of Police.
North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA)
In 1951, Balipara Frontier Tract, Tirap Frontier Tract, Abor Hills district, Mishmi Hills district and the Naga tribal areas (Tuensang and Mon areas) were together renamed as the North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA).
On 26 January 1954 the North-East Frontier Agency was divided into six frontier divisions: Kameng (formerly Sela Sub-Agency), Subansiri (formerly Subansiri area), Tirap (formerly Tirap Frontier Tract), Siang (formerly Abor Hills district), Lohit (formerly Mishmi Hills district) and Tuensang Frontier Division.
Naga Hills-Tuensang Area (NHTA)
On 1 December 1957, Tuensang Frontier Division was separated from NEFA and attached to the newly formed Naga Hills District to form a centrally governed Naga Hills-Tuensang Area with creation of Kohima, Mokokchung and Tuensang districts.
(W.e.f. 1st December, 1957, vide notification No.S.R.O.3843, dated 30–11–1957 Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II– Section 3, page 2877} . Ref: THE NAGA HILLS-TUENSANG AREA ACT, 1957
(NEFA – Tuensang Frontier Division) + Naga Hills District = Naga Hills-Tuensang Area
n 1959, the Naga Hills District was divided into two, namely Kohima and Mokokchung with the office of Commissioner at Kohima. It was also assigned to look after the Tuensang Area that formed the Naga Hills Tuensang Area (NHTA).
Formation of Nagaland State
In February 1961, Naga Hills Tuensang Area was renamed to “Nagaland“.
On 1 December 1963, Nagaland became a full fledged state – the 16th state of India. At the time of inauguration of the Statehood there were three districts, namely Kohima, Mokokchung and Tuensang.
Nagaland state police force also came into being with the formation of the state on 1st December 1963.
On 1 August 1965, the administration Nagaland was transferred from the Ministry of External Affairs to the Ministry of Home Affairs.
On 21 January 1972, the remaining North-East Frontier Agency became the Union Territory of Arunachal Pradesh. Its administrative headquarters was Shillong (until 1974, when it was transferred to Itanagar). It got the status of State on 20th February, 1987.
Formation of Nagaland districts
1957 : Formation of Kohima, Mokokchung and Tuensang districts
- Kohima, Mokokchung and Tuensang districts were formed in 1957 with the formation of Naga Hills-Tuensang Area.
- Kohima was also originally known as Kewhira. Kohima was founded in 1878 when the British Empire established its headquarters of the then Naga Hills.
- Kohima is also known as ‘the first district of Nagaland’.
1973 : Formation of Wokha, Zunheboto, Mon, Phek districts
- In December 1973, four more districts were created for administrative reasons:
- Wokha and Zunheboto districts was carved out of Mokokchung district.
- Mon district was created on 21st December 1973, carved out of Tuensang district.
- Phek district created out of Kohima district.
1997 : Formation of Dimapur district
- Dimapur district was carved from Kohima district vide Government of Nagaland, Home Department notification no. GAB-5/29/78(pt) dated 02-12-1997.
- Dimapur was earlier a sub-division under Kohima district.
2004 : Formation of Kiphire, Longleng, Peren districts
- Three more districts were added in January 2004 namely, Kiphire, Longleng and Peren.
- Kiphire and Longleng districts were carved from Tuensang district.
- Peren district was carved from Kohima district.
- Peren was declared as full-fledged district on 24th January 2004.
- Longleng gained the status of full-fledged Revenue District on 24 January 2004.
- Kiphire district was inaugurated as the eleventh district of Nagaland on 24th January, 2004.
2017: Formation of Noklak district
- Noklak is the youngest and the 12th district of Nagaland created on 21 December 2017.
- Noklak district was formally inaugurated on 20 January 2021 by Chief Minister Shri. Neiphiu Rio.
- Noklak was previously a sub-division under Tuensang district.
- Noklak is the third district to be bifurcated out of Tuensang district after Kiphire and Longleng districts, which were also carved out of Tuensang in 2004.