Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – March 2023
01 March 2023: Re-Poll at four polling stations
- Four polling stations in Nagaland went for re-polls on 1 March 2023.
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) ordered repolling at four polling stations in Nagaland’s Zunheboto, Wokha, Mon and Tuensang districts on 28th February 2023.
- The four polling stations where re-poll was held are:
- New Colony polling station in Zunheboto assembly segment,
- Pangti V in Sanis constituency,Wokha
- Jaboka village in Tizit constituency, Mon and
- Pathso East Wing in Thonoknyu, Tuensang
02 March 2023: Counting begins for Nagaland Assembly Election 2023
- Nagaland went to polls on 27th Feb. 2023 for 59 constituencies with a tentative voter turnout of 83.36 per cent till 5 PM. Counting on March 2.
- Total 12 (twelve) political parties contested in the Nagaland Assembly Election 2023.
- Total candidates contesting in the Nagaland Assembly Election 2023: 184
- Total independent candidates contesting: 19
- Elected unopposed: 1 (BJP, 31 A/C Akuloto)
- Kazheto Kinimi, BJP candidate from 31- Akuluto assembly constituency in Nagaland won the Nagaland Assembly Election 2023 unopposed / uncontested for a second term.
02 March 2023: Nagaland scripts history, elects two women MLA
- Nagaland scripts history. For the first time ever, two women were elected to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly as per the result declared for the Nagaland Legislative Assembly election 2023.
- Hekani Jakhalu (NDPP) from Dimapur III constituency and
- Salhoutuonuo Kruse (NDPP) from Western Angami constituency.
- Hekani Jakhalu becomes the first woman MLA in Nagaland after registering a victory in the Dimapur-III constituency. Hekani Jakhalu won by a margin of 1536 votes against her nearest rival – AZHETO ZHIMOMI (Lok Janshakti Party (Ram Vilas)).
- Later, the Election Commission confirmed the victory of the second woman candidate Salhoutuonuo Kruse from Western Angami AC, who won by a margin of just 7 votes against her nearest rival Keneizhakho Nakhro
- Former Chief Minister, Shri. Neiphiu Rio tweeted to congratulate the two women MLAs
History has been made! Heartfelt congratulations, Mrs.
To which PM Narender Modi also tweeted:
02 March 2023: Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 results declared
- Party wise Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 result
- List of all winners – Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 result
Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 Result.xlsx
|S.No||Constituency||Const. No.||Winner||Winner's Party||Trailing Candidate||Trailing Party||Margin|
|1||Aboi||47||C. MANPON KONYAK||Independent||WANGKA KONYAK||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||3524|
|2||Aghunato||34||G IKUTO ZHIMOMI||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||HUKIYE N TISSICA||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||592|
|3||Akuluto||31||KAZHETO||Bharatiya Janata Party||Unopposed Winner|
|4||Alongtaki||30||TEMJEN IMNA ALONG||Bharatiya Janata Party||J. LANU LONGCHAR||Janata Dal (United)||3748|
|5||Angetyongpang||24||TONGPANG OZUKUM||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||ER K WATI||Independent||2220|
|6||Aonglenden||26||SHARINGAIN LONGKUMER||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||TOSHIPOKBA||Indian National Congress||4390|
|7||Arkakong||22||Nuklutoshi||National People's Party||Imnatiba||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||1203|
|8||Atoizu||32||PICTO||Nationalist Congress Party||ER KAHULI SEMA||Bharatiya Janata Party||602|
|9||Bhandari||40||ACHUMBEMO KIKON||Naga Peoples Front||MMHONLUMO KIKON||Bharatiya Janata Party||3589|
|10||Chazouba||18||KUDECHO KHAMO||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||DR. CHOTISUH SAZO||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||2238|
|11||Chizami||17||K. G Kenye||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||KEVECHUTSO DOULO||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||1279|
|12||Dimapur-I||1||H. TOVIHOTO AYEMI||Bharatiya Janata Party||KEWEKHAPE THERIE||Indian National Congress||6959|
|13||Dimapur-II||2||MOATOSHI LONGKUMER||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Y. VIKHEHO AWOMI||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||5147|
|14||Dimapur-III||3||HEKANI JAKHALU||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||AZHETO ZHIMOMI||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||1536|
|15||Ghaspani-I||4||N. JACOB ZHIMOMI||Bharatiya Janata Party||V. PHUSHIKA AOMI||Independent||20096 (Max. Margin)|
|16||Ghaspani-II||5||ZHALEO RIO||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Z. KASHETO YEPTHO||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||4175|
|17||Impur||23||T N MANNEN||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||BENDANGKOKBA||Indian National Congress||1095|
|18||Jangpetkong||29||Temjenmenba||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Imjongwati Longkumer||Naga Peoples Front||2001|
|19||Kohima Town||9||Dr Tseilhoutuo Rhutso (Dr Ato)||National People's Party||Dr Neikiesalie Nicky Kire||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||1342|
|20||Koridang||28||IMKONG L. IMCHEN||Bharatiya Janata Party||MAJ. TOSHIKABA (Retd)||Naga Peoples Front||410|
|21||Longkhim Chare||52||SETHRONGKYU||Bharatiya Janata Party||MUTHINGNYUBA SANGTAM||Nationalist Congress Party||1623|
|22||Longleng||50||A PONGSHI PHOM||Nationalist Congress Party||S. PANGNYU PHOM||Bharatiya Janata Party||5270|
|23||Meluri||20||Z.NYUSIETHO NYUTHE||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||YITACHU||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||3580|
|24||Moka||48||A NYAMNYEI KONYAK||National People's Party||EE PANGTEANG||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||556|
|25||Mokokchung Town||27||METSUBO JAMIR||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||ALEM JONGSHI||Indian National Congress||3911|
|26||Mon Town||46||Y MANKHAO KONYAK||Nationalist Congress Party||ER. CHEONG KONYAK||Bharatiya Janata Party||2611|
|27||Mongoya||25||IMKONGMAR||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||S SUPONGMEREN JAMIR||Indian National Congress||1042|
|28||Noklak||56||P Longon||Nationalist Congress Party||H Haiying||Bharatiya Janata Party||734|
|29||Noksen||51||Y. Lima Onen Chang||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||H. Chuba Chang||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||188|
|30||Northern Angami-I||10||Dr.Kekhrielhoulie Yhome||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||KHRIEHU LIEZIETSU||Naga Peoples Front||1690|
|31||Northern Angami-II||11||Neiphiu Rio||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||SEYIEVILIE SACHU||Indian National Congress||15824|
|32||Peren||7||Taditui Rangkau Zeliang||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Kingudi Joseph||Naga Peoples Front||9915|
|33||Pfutsero||16||DR.NEISATUO MERO||Independent||NEIBA KRONU||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||104|
|34||Phek||19||Kuzholuzo Nienu||Naga Peoples Front||Kupota Khesoh||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||48|
|35||Phomching||44||K Konngam Konyak||Bharatiya Janata Party||Pohwang Konyak||Nationalist Congress Party||2877|
|36||Pughoboto||13||DR SUKHATO A SEMA||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||Y VIKHEHO SWU||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||850|
|37||Pungro Kiphire||60||S. Kiusumew Yimchunger||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||T. Yangseo Sangtam||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||2291|
|38||Sanis||39||Mhathung Yanthan||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Senkathung Jami||Rashtriya Janata Dal||9513|
|39||Satakha||36||G. KAITO AYE||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||ZHEITO CHOPHY||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||1351|
|40||Seyochung Sitimi||59||C. Kipili Sangtam||National People's Party||V. Kashiho Sangtam||Bharatiya Janata Party||930|
|41||Shamator Chessore||58||S KEOSHU YIMCHUNGER||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||R TOHANBA||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||2295|
|42||Southern Angami-I||14||Kevipodi Sophie||Independent||Medo Yhokha||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||177|
|43||Southern Angami-II||15||Kropol Vitsu||Bharatiya Janata Party||Zale Neikha||Nationalist Congress Party||450|
|44||Suruhuto||33||S. TOIHO YEPTHO||Nationalist Congress Party||H. KHEHOVI||Bharatiya Janata Party||69|
|45||Tamlu||49||B. Bangtick Phom||Independent||B.S. Nganlang Phom||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||694|
|46||Tapi||43||NOKE WANGNAO||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||WANGLEM KONYAK||Naga Peoples Front||82|
|47||Tehok||45||C.L JOHN||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||C KAWANG KONYAK||Naga Peoples Front||7070|
|48||Tenning||6||Namri Nchang||Nationalist Congress Party||Tarie Zeliang||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||254|
|49||Thonoknyu||57||Benei M Lamthiu||National People's Party||S Heno Khiamniungan||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||2325|
|50||Tizit||41||P. PAIWANG KONYAK||Bharatiya Janata Party||T. THOMAS KONYAK||Indian National Congress||4603|
|51||Tobu||55||Naiba Konyak||Lok Janshakti Party(Ram Vilas)||N. Bongkhao Konyak||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||506|
|52||Tseminyu||12||JWENGA SEB||Janata Dal (United)||LOGUSENG SEMP||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||2563|
|53||Tuensang Sadar-I||53||P. Bashangmongba Chang||Bharatiya Janata Party||Toyang Chang||Nationalist Congress Party||5644|
|54||Tuensang Sadar-II||54||Imtichoba||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||K. Odibendang Chang||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||400|
|55||Tuli||21||A. Pangjung Jamir||Bharatiya Janata Party||Amenba Yaden||Nationalist Congress Party||3029|
|56||Tyui||37||YANTHUNGO PATTON||Bharatiya Janata Party||SENCHUMO LOTHA||Janata Dal (United)||8841|
|57||Wakching||42||W CHINGANG KONYAK||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||M HONANG JESS||National People's Party||2733|
|58||Western Angami||8||Salhoutuonuo Kruse||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||Keneizhakho Nakhro||Independent||7 (Least Margin)|
|59||Wokha||38||Y MHONBEMO HUMTSOE||Nationalist Congress Party||RENPONTHUNG EZUNG||Bharatiya Janata Party||3061|
|60||Zunheboto||35||K TOKUGHA SUKHALU||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party||AKAVI SUMI||Naga Peoples Front||12028|
02 March 2023: Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 results – most and least margin
- Winner with the most margin: N. JACOB ZHIMOMI (BJP) with a margin of 20096 votes
- N. JACOB ZHIMOMI (BJP) won against V. PHUSHIKA AOMI (Independent) with a margin of 20096 votes at Ghaspani-I Constituency.
- Winner with the least margin: Salhoutuonuo Kruse (NDPP) with a margin of 7 votes
- Salhoutuonuo Kruse (NDPP) won against Keneizhakho Nakhro (Independent) with a margin of just 7 votes at Western Angami Constituency.
07 March 2023: Neiphiu Rio is Nagaland CM for the fifth term
- Neiphiu Rio was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Nagaland for the fifth term. The 72-year-old politician was administered the oath of secrecy by Governor La Ganesan in the presence of
- Taditui Rangkau Zeliang and Yanthungo Patton took oath as Deputy Chief Ministers of Nagaland in Kohima, while other members of the Rio Cabinet also took oath.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah, BJP president J.P. Nadda and Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma were among those present at the oath-taking ceremony in Kohima.
09 March 2023: Portfolios of Nagaland Cabinet Ministers and Advisors post declaration of Nagaland Legislative Assembly Election 2023 results
- As per the portfolios distributed, NDPP took 7 Cabinet Ministers and 17 Advisor berths.
- Whereas, BJP got 5 Cabinet Ministers and 7 Advisors.
Portfolios of Nagaland Cabinet Ministers 2023
- Shri. Neiphiu Rio
Chief Minister, Finance, Personnel and Administrative Reforms , all important policy issues and any other Portfolios not allocated
- Shri. Yanthungo Patton – Deputy Chief Minister, Home, Border Affairs
- Shri. T.R Zeliang – Deputy Chief Minister, Planning and Transformation, National Highway
- Shri. G. Kaito Aye – Roads & Bridges
- Shri. Jacob Zhimomi – Public Health Engineering , Cooperation
- Shri. K.G Kenye Power – Parliamentary Affairs
- Shri. P. Paiwang Konyak – Health & Family Welfare
- Shri. Metsubo Jamir – Rural Development , SIRD
- Shri. Temjen Imna Along – Tourism , Higher Education
- Shri. C.L John – Environment & Climate Change , Village Guards
- Smti. Salhoutuonuo Kruse – Women Resource Development , Horticulture
- Shri. P. Bashangmongba Chang – Housing & Mechanical Engineering
Portfolios of Nagaland Advisors 2023
- Shri. Noke Wangnao – Social Welfare
- Shri. Imkong L Imchen – Information & Public Relation , Soil & Water Conservation
- Shri. K Konngam Konyak – Treasuries & Accounts , Art & Culture
- Shri. Zhaleo Rio – Urban Development , Municipal Affairs
- Shri. H Tovihoto Ayemi – Tribal Affairs
- Shri. Tongpang Ozukum – Water Resources
- Shri. K Tokugha Sukhalu – Food & Civil Supply , Legal Metrology
- Shri. Kazheto – Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services
- Shri. Mhathung Yanthan – Agriculture
- Shri. S. Keoshu Yimchunger – Youth Resources & Sports
- Shri. Kropol Vitsu Prison – Printing & Stationery
- Shri. Moatoshi Longkumer – Labour , Employment & Skill Development , Excise
- Shri. T N Mannen – Law & Justice , Land Revenue
- Shri. A. Pangjung Jamir – Fishery & Aquatic Resources
- Dr. Kekhrielhoulie Yhome – School Education , SCERT
- Shri. Kudecho Khamo – Civil Administration Works Division , Taxes
- Shri. Z. Nyusietho Nyuthe – New & Renewal Energy , Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority
- Smti. Hekani Jakhalu Kense – Industries and Commerce
- Shri. Imkongmar – Minority Affairs , Sericulture
- Shri. Temjenmemba – Transport , Technical Education
- Shri. G Ikuto Zhimomi – Land Resources
- Shri. W Chingang Konyak – Geology & Mining , DUDA
- Shri. S. Kiusumew Yimchunger – Fire & Emergency Services , Home Guard & Civil Defence
- Shri. Sethrongkyu – Information Technology & Communication , Economics & Statistics , Evaluation
Salhoutuonuo Kruse (NDPP) is the first Naga woman cabinet minister in the Nagaland Legislative Assembly.
10 March 2023: Nagaland MLA Mhathung Yanthan took oath as Protem speaker of 14th Nagaland Legislative Assembly
- Nagaland Governor La. Ganesan appointed Mhathung Yanthan as the Protem speaker of the 14th Nagaland Legislative Assembly on 8th March 2023 as per provisions of Article 180(2) of the Constitution.
- On 10th March 2023, Nagaland MLA Mhathung Yanthan took oath in the presence of Chief Secretary, DGP Nagaland, Home Commissioner and other officials at the office chamber of the Governor at Raj Bhavan Kohima, as the Protem speaker. He will administer the oath to all the newly elected MLAs of the Nagaland Legislative Assembly.
- Mhathung Yanthan would perform the duties of the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly w.e.f. the time of vacation of the office of the Speaker of the 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly by Sharingain Longkumer and until a Speaker is elected .
15 March 2023: Nagaland’s oldest resident Pupirei Pfukha dies at 121
- Nagaland’s oldest resident, Pupirei Pfukha, who was 121 years old, passed away at her residence in Kigwema village in Kohima district.
23 March 2023: Smti. Neihunuo Sorhie from Nagaland received Padma Shri Award 2023
- Smti. Neihunuo Sorhie received Padma Shri Award 2023 in the field of Art.
- She is a sixty-year-old weaver from Kohima, two-time winner of the National Handloom Award. She is also a recipient of the Sant Kabir Award. She had represented Nagaland in various national and international handloom events. She mentored many women in learning the Naga craft and trained over 300 people, besides running a handicraft store in Kohima for at least two decades.
- With that, the total Padma Shri Award winners from Nagalan is 18 (Padma Bhushan: 2 nos. , Padma Shri: 16 nos.). See Complete List of Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards recipients from Nagaland