List of Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards recipients from Nagaland till date.
- Total number of Padma Award recipients from Nagaland is fifteen (15) so far (as on 15 Nov 2020).
Bharat Ratna Award is the highest civilian award of the Republic of India, followed by Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri Awards. A brief account of various Padma awards and list of Padma Award recipients from Nagaland are listed below for reference.
The Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the Republic of India. Instituted on 2 January 1954, the award is conferred in recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order, without distinction of race, occupation, position, or sex.
The award was originally limited to achievements in the arts, literature, science, and public services, but the government expanded the criteria to include “any field of human endeavour” in December 2011
- Recipients of Bharat Ratna Award from Nagaland: NIL
The Padma Vibhushan is the second-highest civilian award of the Republic of India, after the Bharat Ratna. Instituted on 2 January 1954, the award is given for “exceptional and distinguished service“, without distinction of race, occupation, position, or sex.
- Recipients of Padma Vibhushan Award from Nagaland: NIL
The Padma Bhushan is the third-highest civilian award in the Republic of India. Instituted on 2 January 1954, the award is given for “distinguished service of a high order…without distinction of race, occupation, position or sex.” The award criteria include “service in any field including service rendered by Government servants” including doctors and scientists, but exclude those working with the public sector undertakings.
Recipients of Padma Bhushan Award from Nagaland: two (2) (as on 15 Nov 2020)
- Ms. Rani Gaidinliu | Year: 1982 | Field: Social Work
- Shri S. C. Jamir | Year: 2020 | Field: Public Affairs
Padma Shri, also spelt Padma Shree, is the fourth-highest civilian award in the Republic of India. Padma Awards were instituted in 1954 to be awarded to citizens of India in recognition of their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity including the arts, education, industry, literature, science, sports, medicine, social service and public affairs. It has also been awarded to some distinguished individuals who were not citizens of India but did contribute in various ways to India.
Recipients of Padma Shri Award from Nagaland: thirteen (13) (as on 15 Nov 2020)
- *Shri Thepfoorya Haralu | Year: 1964 | Field: Civil Service
- Rev. L. Kijungluba Ao | Year: 1976| Field: Social Work
- Smt. Chubalemla Ao | Year: 1981 | Field: Social Work
- Shri Mayangnokcha Ao | Year: 1984 | Field: Literature and Education
- Shri Natwarbhai Thakkar | Year: 1999 | Field: Social Work
- Ms. Neidonuo Angami | Year: 2000 | Field: Social Work
- Shri. Nokdenlemba | Year: 2003 | Field: Literature and Education
- Shri Melhupra Vero | Year: 2006 | Field: Social Work
- Smt. Sentila T. Yanger | Year: 2008 | Field: Art
- Shri K. Asungba Sangtam | Year: 2009 | Field: Public Affairs
- Shri Tokheho H. Sema | Year: 2016 | Field: Public Affairs
- Shri M. Piyongtemjen Jamir | Year: 2018 | Field: Literature and Education
- Smt. Lentina Ao Thakkar | Year: 2018 | Field: Social Work
(Married to Shri Natwarbhai Thakkar, also a recipient in the year 1999. S.No. 5 above).
Note: The above list from S.No.2 to 13 is as per the Padma Awards Dashboard hosted by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, under Nagaland category.
*However, there was another Padma Shri recipient in the field of ‘Civil Service’ way back in 1964- Shri.Thepfürüya Haralu (T Haralu) – which is listed in S.No. 1 above. For some reason, he is listed under Andhra Pradesh, and not under Nagaland.
- Shri Thepfoorya Haralu | Year: 1964 | Field: Civil Service (name as per MHA dashboard)
Including him, the total number of Padma Award recipients from Nagaland stands at 15 till date. And, it makes Late Shri.Thepfürüya Haralu the first Padma Award recipient from Nagaland.
As per a news report, he received the award 1964 while serving as the Assistant Political Officer (APO), in Bomdila, Kameng District of the then North-East Frontier Agency (Arunachal Pradesh). He later became the first Deputy Commissioner of the then undivided Kameng District constituted in 1965 as per the ‘Gazetteer of India – Arunachal Pradesh – East Kameng West Kameng and Tawang Districts’ (1996).
- Total Padma Award recipients from Nagaland: 15
- Total Padma Bhushan Award recipients from Nagaland: 2
- Total Padma Shri Award recipients from Nagaland: 13
Total Padma Award recipients from Nagaland in various categories:
- Social Work: 7
- Literature and Education: 3
- Public Affairs: 3
- Art : 1
- Civil Service: 1