Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – August 2019
Current Affairs in brief.
4 August 2019: Chathavi vuprü wins the “Con Brio 2019” -National Piano Competition
- Chathavi vuprü, a 19 year old pianist from Kuda village, Dimapur, won the “Con Brio 2019” -National Piano Competition.
- Con Brio – The John Gomes Memorial Piano Competition final was held at National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) Mumbai on 4th August 2019.
- Aosen Jamir from Dimapur and Rohini Sharma from Mumbai are the 2nd runners up.
11 August 2019:
- The first Naga Baptist Church in USA officially inaugurated on 11 August 2019 in Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Texas, US. The Burton Hill Baptist Church is the sponsoring church for the First Naga Baptist Church.
- The first Naga Baptist Church in USA was launched on 4 November 2018 and was officially inaugurated on 11 August 2019.
- ENPO had threatened to impose non-participation in the August 15 Independence day celebrations in all the four districts in view of the failure of the government of India failed to accede to the demand on or before August 10,2019, the demand being primarily for a separate state (Frontier Nagaland).
- The Centre invited ENPO representatives for talks in New Delhi on August 13 to discuss on the demands. ENPO demands a separate state – Frontier Nagaland – which comprises of four districts of the existing Nagaland State – Tuensang, Mon, Longleng and Kiphire.
- ENPO is the apex body representing Eastern Nagaland comprising of the Konyak, Chang, Sangtam, Khiamniungan, Yimchunger and Phom tribes.
- Naga Hills Tuensang Area (NHTA) was separated from North East Frontier Agency (Assam) to form the state of Nagaland in 1963.
- Naga footballer Ratobe Poireng has been selected to play for Lilla Torg FF in Sweden.
- This makes him the first Naga to join an European football club.
- The 23-year-old midfielder, is a native of Poilwa village under Peren district.
- Former player of Barak FC Peren. He also played for Guwahati Town Club.
13 August 2019: Eastern Naga Students’ Association (ENSA) bans employment of domestic workers
- Eastern Naga Students’ Association (ENSA) resolved to “totally ban” the employment of Eastern Nagas (Myanmar) as domestic workers/helpers” in Nagaland as per resolution adopted by its executive council and advisory board during its executive meeting held on August 12, 2019.
15 August 2019: For the first time in Nagaland, sign language used to interpret the CM’s speech on the 73rd Independence Day
- For the first time, sign language was used to interpret the CM’s 73rd Independence Day speech on 15th August 2019 at Kohima. A move towards a more inclusiveness society and better appreciation of all sections.
15 August 2019: Charles Chasie and Dreamz Unlimited received the 17th Governor’s Award 2019 in Arts, Music and Literature
- Charles Chasie and Dreamz Unlimited received the 17th Governor’s Award 2019 in Arts, Music and Literature on the occasion of the 73rd Independence Day in the category of Literature and Arts respectively at Durbar Hall Raj Bhavan, Kohima on August 15.
- Charles Chasie is a Kohima based journalist and author by profession. His books are mostly on social-cultural life and politics of Nagaland. Some of his wirtings includes – “Age-old ties: Pfutseromi & KhwunoThevo” (2013), “Bearing Witness” (2011), “Nagas Today: Indigenous Discourse” (2010-11), GeetiSen’s Edited ” Where the Sun Rises When Shadow fall: The North East” (2006), “The Naga Imbroglio: A personnel perspective”.
- Dreamz Unlimited is a theater and film production house based in Dimapur. They have the most popular YouTube Channel from Nagaland which also received Silver Creator Award from YouTube in 2019. Formed in 2008 after an intensive theatre workshop conducted by the National School of Drama, New Delhi in collaboration with NEZCC, Dimapur, they have performed plays based on social issues mixed with satire and humor for some churches, civil societies, NGOs and Government department with the motto, bringing a change.
15 August 2019: Nagaland Police launches ‘Cyber Crime Prevention against Women & Children’ (CCPWC)
- Deputy Chief Minister of Nagaland, Y Patton inaugurated Nagaland Police ‘Cyber Crime Prevention against Women & Children’ (CCPWC) lab cum training center at PTS, Police Complex, Chümoukedima, Nagaland on August 15.
- INR 87.12 Crore grant has been released to States/UTs for setting up of Cyber Forensic training Labs and hiring of Cyber forensic consultant for operation of lab in each State/UT.
- The “Online Cybercrime Reporting Portal” is a central citizen portal of the CCTNS project. Using this portal, an online cyber-crime complaint can be made by the victims of cyber-crime.
- Cyber Crimes can be reported online at URL: https://cybercrime.gov.in
16 August 2019: Chief Secretary launches ‘Startup India in Nagaland’ portal
- ‘Startup India in Nagaland’ portal launched by Chief Secretary, Temjen Toy on 16 August 2019.
- The portal was initiated by the Department of Industries and Commerce, Nagaland.
- The Nagaland Startup portal has been developed to enable startups from the state to register online and apply for recognition under ‘Startup Nagaland’ by logging in to the portal which has been uploaded at www.startup.nagaland.gov.in.
- This portal will provide the youth with incentives and programs available under the state ‘Startup policy’.
17 August 2019: Nagaland Adviser for Power Tovihoto Ayemi announced that the state has achieved 100% Rural Household Electrification
- Scheme: Saubhagya
- Status: 100% both Rural and Urban
- Status Report of Nagaland as of June 2019 here (link).
18 August 2019: Nagaland recorded highest nos of RTI applications
- Among the “small states category“, Nagaland recorded the highest number of RTI applications received from 2006-07 to 2016-17 at 24, 896 as per the Annual Administrative Report (2018-2019) of the Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms (DP&AR), Nagaland, tabled in the recently concluded state assembly session.
21 August 2019: First ever Naga ‘Tech Fest’
- The first ever ‘Tech Fest’ under the theme “Naga Tech- Redefining ideas” was organised by the Department of Technical Education, starting from on 21 August 2019 at IG Stadium in Kohima.
24 August 2019: Nagaland third from bottom among the northeastern and Himalayan states in Composite Water Management Index (CWMI 2.0)
- Nagaland secure low score (bottom third among the northeastern and Himalayan states) in Composite Water Management Index (CWMI 2.0) as per report released by NITI Aayog.
- CWMI 2.0 ranked 25 States and 2 UTs for the reference year 2017-18 as against base year 2016-17.
- The CWMI is an important tool to assess and improve the performance of States and Union Territories in efficient management of water resources.
- From among the northeastern and Himalayan states, Himachal Pradesh topped the list with a score of 67.
Tripura, Assam, Sikkim, Nagaland, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh scored 47, 44, 42, 30, 26, 22, respectively.
- Key remarks on Nagaland in the CWMI 2.0 report:
- Nagaland has constructed 55% of its targeted water harvesting structures and has geotagged 74% of IWMP assets.
- Water access remains low.
- Only 22% of the urban population is covered with drinking water supply, and the state has not installed any capacity to treat its wastewater.
- The state has not enacted legislation for the conservation of water bodies, and is yet to set up an integrated data centre.
25 August 2019: Govt. of Nagaland announce job reservation for Persons with Disabilities
- Govt. of Nagaland announced 4% reservation for persons with benchmark disabilities in government jobs, under section 34 of the “Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act of 2016“.
- Benchmark disability: refers to having at least 40% disability of any type recognised under “The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016”.
- Nagaland has also enacted the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules, 2016. The ‘Nagaland Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules, 2019’ was approved by the state cabinet, and notified on 16 August 2019.
31 August 2019: Schools in Nagaland join World Record attempt for ‘Largest Robotic KIT making training’
- Around 900 students from various educational institutions in Dimapur and Kohima joined other cities across India in the attempt to create World Record of ‘Largest Robotic KIT making training’ on August 31.
- The event was organized by All India Council for Robotics & Automation (AICRA).