Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – August 2019 – Current Affairs in brief.
13 August 2019: GoI and ENPO meet to discuss demands – political talks likely
- ENPO had threatened to impose non-participation in the August 15 Independence day celebrations in all the four districts in view of the failure of the government of India failed to accede to the demand on or before August 10,2019, the demand being primarily for a separate state (Frontier Nagaland).
- The Centre invited ENPO representatives for talks in New Delhi on August 13 to discuss on the demands. ENPO demands a separate state – Frontier Nagaland – which comprises of four districts of the existing Nagaland State – Tuensang, Mon, Longleng and Kiphire.
- ENPO is the apex body representing Eastern Nagaland comprising of the Konyak, Chang, Sangtam, Khiamniungan, Yimchunger and Phom tribes.
- Naga Hills Tuensang Area (NHTA) was separated from North East Frontier Agency (Assam) to form the state of Nagaland in 1963.
- Naga footballer Ratobe Poireng has been selected to play for Lilla Torg FF in Sweden.
- This makes him the first Naga to join an European football club.
- The 23-year-old midfielder, is a native of Poilwa village under Peren district.
- Former player of Barak FC Peren. He also played for Guwahati Town Club.
13 August 2019: Eastern Naga Students’ Association (ENSA) bans employment of domestic workers
- Eastern Naga Students’ Association (ENSA) resolved to “totally ban” the employment of Eastern Nagas (Myanmar) as domestic workers/helpers” in Nagaland as per resolution adopted by its executive council and advisory board during its executive meeting held on August 12, 2019.