Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – July 2023
4 July 2023: Nagaland Wrestling champ Venuzo Timothy Dawhuo defeated Chin champ Mang C. Lian in the USA
- Reigning Nagaland Wrestling Champion Venuzo Timothy Dawhuo defeated Chin champ Mang C. Lian by two straight bout in a challenger card match at Bloomington, Indianapolis, USA.
- The wrestling event was held as part of 12th Biennial Convention of Chin Youth Organisation of North America (CYONA) cultural exchange where the champion from Nagaland was invited.
5 July 2023: Nagaland’s Faith in Action Academy sets Guinness Record for highest assisted martial arts kick
- Nagaland’s Faith in Action Martial Arts Academy brought laurels to the State by setting a new Guinness World Record for the “highest martial arts kick (assisted) on July 5, 2023 by kicking the height of 14 ft.5 inches.
- The previous record for highest assisted martial arts kick was 4.30 metres (14 ft 1.29 in) was achieved by Simon Lass (Germany) on the set of a CCTV Guinness World Records Special, in Beijing, China, on 9 December 2012.
- Faith In Action broke an eleven (11) year old record. The achievement took place during the filming of India’s Got Talent in Mumbai on July 5, 2023, as officially certified by Guinness World Records.
- See list of Guinness World Records from Nagaland.
13 July 2023: Nagaland Chamber Choir wins 2 gold medals at 12th World Choir Games held in South Korea
- The Nagaland Chamber Choir bagged two gold medals at the 12th World Choir Games, which concluded on 13th July in Gangneung, South Korea.
- The Nagaland Chamber Choir won two gold medals, one in the ‘Mixed Chamber Choirs’ and the other in ‘Musica Contemporanea Choral Mixed Voices’ categories.
- The 30-member choir team from Nagaland was led by Hito Kiho as the choir conductor. The Nagaland Chamber Choir was the lone choir from India to qualify and further compete in the World Choir Games.
17 July 2023: S.Phangnon Konyak became the first ever woman member of Rajya Sabha to be appointed to the panel of vice-chairpersons.
- On 17 July 2023, S. Phangnon Konyak (BJP)became the first ever woman member of Rajya Sabha to be appointed to the panel of vice-chairpersons.
25 July 2023: S.Phangnon Konyak becomes first woman MP from Nagaland to preside over Rajya Sabha
- S. Phangnon Konyak (BJP) becomes first woman MP from Nagaland to preside over Rajya Sabha on 25th July 2023.
- She is also the first woman to be elected to Rajya Sabha from Nagaland (April 2022)
- On July 17, she became the first ever woman member of Rajya Sabha to be appointed to the panel of vice-chairpersons.
Marking a significant moment in history, the first woman member from Nagaland in the Rajya Sabha, Smt. Phangnon Konyak presided over the House today. Earlier she had created history by becoming the first ever women member to be appointed to the panel of Vice- Chairpersons on July 17, 2023. (Source: PIB – Vice President’s Secretariat )
She is a member of Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Committee on Empowerment of Women, House Committee and Member, Governing Council of the North-Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, Shillong.