Nagaland State Police is headed by an officer of the rank of Director General of Police (DGP). The Nagaland Police has various wings, but the District Executive Force (DEF) and the Armed Battalions are the largest wings in terms of strength.
District Executive Force (DEF) exists in each district and is headed by an officer of the rank of Superintendent of Police (SP), whereas, the Armed Battalions known as Nagaland Armed Police (NAP) are headed by ‘Commandant’.
- NAP is the armed wing of the State Police which comprises of Battalions.
- Each NAP battalions are headed by an officer in the rank Commandant.
- Nagaland Armed Police (NAP) has 8 NAP Battalions and 7 NAP (IR) battalions based in different districts as of 2022.
Nagaland Armed Police (NAP) Battalions and HQ locations
1ST NAP Battalion – Chumukedima
- Raised on: 1st April 1964
- HQ: Chumukedima
- Motto: 1st Among Equals
- First Commandant:
- Initial strength of 1st NAP BN. comprises of 113 surrendered Underground (UG) cadres led by SS Brigadier Kaming Yimchunger in 1964, followed by 92 surrendered Underground (UG) cadres led by SS Kihoto Sema in 1965, and later Village Guard units of Kohima were merged into the battalion. Officers from Assam Rifles and Assam Police also served with 1st NAP BN. on deputation.
2ND NAP Battalion – Alichen, Mokokchung
- Raised on: 1st August 1964
- HQ: Alichen, Mokokchung
- Motto: Second to None
- First Commandant: Shri. Badija
- The 2nd NAP BN. was raised by converting the then Village Guards of Mokokchung District Wing on 1st August 1964.
- The 2nd NAP BN. was initially called the 2nd NAP BN. Special Armed Police and was later rechristened to NAP BN. on 2nd October 1966.
3RD NAP Battalion – Tuensang
- Raised on: 1st May 1967
- HQ: Tuensang
- Motto: The 3 Cornerstones
- First Commandant: SR Adharmi, IPS
- Raised on 1st May 1967 at Chumukedima, the first batch of personnels comprises of constables from various Village Guard units, 1st NAP BN.,2nd NAP BN. and DEF Kohima.
- The HQ was shifted from Chumukedima to Tuensang on 30th April 1968.
4TH NAP Battalion – Thizama, Kohima
- Raised on: 15th October 1968
- HQ: Thizama, Kohima
- Motto: Forerunner
- First Commandant: RP Modi, MPS
- Initially raised in Chumukedima and based at Longnak to man Assam – Nagaland border, the unit was shifted from Longnak to Thizama, Kohima on 13th October 1972.
5TH NAP Battalion – Phek
- Raised on: 3rd March 1970
- HQ: Phek
- Motto: Vibrant Five
- First Commandant: Maj. H B Limbu
- Initially raised in Chumukedima and attached to Nagaland Armed Police Training (NAPTC), the unit HQ was shifted to Phek on 24th February 1971.
6TH NAP Battalion – Tizit, Mon
- Raised on: 1981
- HQ: Tizit, Mon
- Motto: The stunning Six
- First Commandant: Shri. Aonochet Ao, IPS
- Initially raised from additional companies from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th NAP BN. The HQ is strategically located near the Assam – Nagaland border adjacent to Mon- Sonari (Assam) road.
7TH NAP Battalion – Bhandari, Wokha
- Raised on: 1st April 1986
- HQ: Bhandari, Wokha
- Motto: The Sentinels
- First Commandant: Shri. T M Wati, IPS
- The 7th NAP BN. was sanctioned on 6th August 1985 with personnel initially recruited from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th NAP BN., trained at NAPTC Chumukedima, which was also its temporary HQ since 1986.
- The HQ was shifted from Chumukedima to Bhandari, Wokha only on 26th October 1994.
8TH NAP Battalion – Naltoqa, Zunheboto
- Raised on: 1st April 1985
- HQ: Naltoqa, Zunheboto
- Motto: Dynamic Eight
- First Commandant: Shri. C. Kikon, IPS
- Initially raised in Chumukedima and shifted to Naltoqa, Zunheboto on 7th January 1989.
9TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Saijang, Peren
- Raised on: 1st March 1999
- HQ: Saijang, Peren
- Motto: The Daring Ninth
- First Commandant: Shri. L. Bendang Lemtur, IPS
- The first Indian Reserve battalion of the state of Nagaland.
- One of the most notable achievement of the 9th NAP IR BN. is the Unit’s deployment in the Bastar Region of Chhattisgarh from 2005 to 2007 on the requisition of MHA, GoI to combat Naxalites. In an operation code named ‘Green Hunt’, 76 Naxals were killed, 213 arrested, 167 surrendered, and 58 camps destroyed. The unit also lost a total of 20 officers and men and 13 injured in action and due to aliments during their deployment in Chhattisgarh.
10TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Zhadima, Kohima
- Raised on: 21st January 2001
- HQ: Zhadima, Kohima
- Motto: Striking Tenth
- First Commandant: Shri. Zekotso Mero, IPS
- Initially raised in Chumukedima, the unit HQ was shifted to Zhadima, Kohima on 23rd September 2008.
- The Striking Tenth was the first IR unit of Nagaland Police to be deployed in Purulia, West Bengal for anti-Naxal operations from August 2010 to August 2012.
11TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Aboi, Mon
- Raised on: 7th February 2005
- HQ: Aboi, Mon
- Motto: Valiant Eleventh
- First Commandant: Shri. P F Zeliang, IPS
- The HQ was shifted from Rüzhaphema to Aboi, Mon. Nagaland CM inaugurated the BN HQ in Aboi on 29th April 2021.
- Besides Law and Order duties, the Unit was also deployed to West Bengal for anti-Naxal operations and various election duties outside the State.
12TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Chingtok, Longleng
- Raised on: 12th October 2006
- HQ: Chingtok, Longleng
- Motto: Gallant Twelfth
- First Commandant: Shri. Liremo Lotha, IPS
- The HQ was shifted from NAPTC, Chumukedima to Paper Nagar, Tuli and finally to its permanent HQ at Chingtok, Longleng in August 2016.
- The Unit was also deployed in Purulia, West Bengal for anti-Naxal operations from September 2014 to September 2016 and also various elections duties outside the State.
13TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Yajang, Mokokchung
- Raised on: 1st March 2008
- HQ: Yajang, Mokokchung
- Motto: Thundering Thirteenth
- First Commandant: Shri. I. Toshitsungba Aier, IPS
- The 13th NAP Battalion is considered as the Commando Unit of Nagaland Police.
14TH NAP Battalion (IR) – Okhezung, Kiphire
- Founded: 16th March 2009
- HQ: Okhezung, Kiphire
- Motto: Fearless Fourteenth
- First Commandant: Shri. K. Martin Pienyü, IPS
15TH NAP Mahila Battalion (IR) – Chumukedima
- Founded: 1st June 2009
- HQ: Chumukedima
- Motto: Formidable Fifteenth
- First Commandant: Shri. Meren Jamir, IPS
- The 15th NAP Mahila BN (IR) was deployed for security duty during XIX Commonwealth Games at New Delhi in 2010, and 12th South Asian Games in Guwahati , Assam.
- The BN. is well known for their drill displays, and has won many awards and accolades for their proficiency in drill.
Special Task Force (STF)
- Special Task Force is not a separate battalion but was created under Nagaland Police as an ‘elite force’.
- Personnel for the STF were reportedly picked from the regular police battalions and specifically trained to function as a commando unit on the lines of special operations.
- The first batch of STF successfully completed 3 months Training Course at CIATS Ruzaphema on 23/07/2019.
- The STF are given special training on weapon-handling and other useful tactics. They are comparatively betetr equipped with best weapons, equipment and mobility.
Also Read: Brief Notes on Nagaland State Police