Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – September 2023
12 Sept 2023: Nagaland Govt. launches Horticulture Model Villages 2023-2024
- Nagaland Government launched Horticulture Model Villages (HMVs) which is conceptualized with a vision to take horticulture development activities in all corners of the state to increase productivity and enhance economic opportunities of the farmers under the Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) in every district.
- 16 villages, one in each district, have been identified with emphasis on increasing production of horticultural crops like kiwi, citrus, banana, pineapple, dragon fruit, Naga mircha etc., stated a DIPR report.
- Under the Horticulture Model Villages initiative, the village community would adopt innovative and modern technology for production and enhancing economic opportunities.
15 Sept 2023: Khonoma Village is the First Horticulture Model Village In Nagaland
- Khonoma village in Kohima district became the first Horticulture Model Village (HMV) in Nagaland. It was announced at a launch programme of Horticulture Model Village organised by the Department of Horticulture, Govt. of Nagaland, in Khonoma village.
27 Sept 2023: AFSPA extended in some parts of Nagaland for another 6 months
- As per MHA notification, AFSPA has been further extended in eight districts and areas under 21 police stations in five other districts of Nagaland for a period of six months with effect from April 1, 2023 through a notification on March 24, 2023.
- The 8 districts under AFSPA includes: Dimapur, Niuland, Chumoukedima, Mon, Kiphire, Noklak, Phek and Peren districts in Nagaland.
- Other areas in Nagaland under AFSPA includes areas within the jurisdiction of the following police stations:
- i) Khuzama, Kohima North, Kohima South, Zubza and Kezocha police stations in Kohima District;
- ii) Mangkolemba, Mokokchung-I, Longtho, Tuli, Longchem and Anaki ‘C’ police stations in Mokokchung District;
- iii) Yanglok police station in Longleng District; iv) Bhandari, Champang and Ralan police stations in Wokha District; and
- v) Ghatashi, Pughoboto, Satakha, Suruhuto, Zunheboto and Aghunato police stations in Zunheboto District,
are declared as ‘disturbed area’ under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958.
29 Sept 2023: Vethozo clinches world arm wrestling Championship
- Vethozo Lohe (19 years) from Khutsokhuno village, Phek district, bagged the International Federation of Armwrestling (IFA), World Arm Wrestling Champion title, defeating Georgian arm wrestler at the finals held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He was also placed 4th in Left Arm category.
- Another youth, Avilie Zuyie (19 years) also was placed at 5th place (left arm) during the same event. The duo was among the only two Nagas representing India in the event.
- Vethozo Lohe was overall arm-wrestling champion of Nagaland 2021 at 17 years of age.
- Vethozo Lohe also bagged the Indian overall champion in 2018 in the under -18 junior category bagging five medals for the state. In 2023 he won 4 gold medals for the state and got selected for the world championship.
29 Sept 2023: NagaEd won award for Best Practice in Digital Transformation at the CII DX Awards
- NagaEd, a Nagaland-based digital education company, won CII DX Awards award for Best Practice in Digital Transformation at the ceremony held in New Delhi on September 26, 2023.
- DX Awards, an initiative of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), recognizes the innovative digital strategies and technologies playing a crucial role in transforming business models, and processes, driving growth in new and existing markets.
- NagaEd is founded by Kevisato Sanyu and Shiroi Shaiza.