Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – June 2021
02 June 2021
A Film from Nagaland “Angh” selected for screening at Palm Springs International Short Fest
After winning ‘Special Mention Jury award’ at the Clermont Ferrand International Film Festival in France, Angh, a short film from Nagaland, has been selected for screening at Palm Springs International Short Fest. The short film has been selected in the ‘International Competition’ category. Angh is set to be screened at the Camelot Theatres in Palm Springs, California.
Palm Springs International Short Fest is an Oscar qualifying film festival.
The Palm Springs International Short Fest will be held from June 22-28, 2021 at Palm Springs, California.
- ‘Angh’- short film from Nagaland is written and directed by 26-year-old Theja Rio and produced by Nancy Nisa Beso.
- Angh is a film that takes place in 1963, in the extremely rural parts of Nagaland. It is about a village chief (Angh), a former head-hunter and his son, who remain the last people in region to be converted into Christianity.
General Manager of NHIDCL arrested in Nagaland on corruption charges
- A general manager of the National Highway Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) B D Jangade was arrested on 02 Jun2 2021 in Mokokchung, Nagaland after a video circulated on social media purportedly showing him demanding one per cent commission from a contractor. A complaint was filed by the Deputy Commissioner, Mokokchung with the police on the basis of the video.
- The NHIDCL official was in charge of Mokokchung, Zunheboto, Wokha, Longleng, Mon and a part of Kohima district since January 20, 2019, for execution of national highway projects.
- The NHIDCL is a fully owned company of the Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH)
06 June 2021
Rising People’s Party (RPP) – Nagaland’s newest political party
- Rising People’s Party (RPP) based in Dimapur has become Nagaland’s newest political party after it received the Election Commission of India (ECI) registration on 06 June 2021.
- President of Rising People’s Party (RPP) is Joel Naga, a founding member of the Action Committee against Unabated Taxation (ACAUT).
- The party will be fielding candidates for the 2023 state assembly elections according to news reports.
3-yr-old Naga girl’s photo wins the internet for visiting the doctor by herself
- Lipavi, a 3-yr-old girl in Nagaland reportedly visited the Hebolimi health centre in Ghathashi Tehsil of Zunheboto all by herself for a checkup since her parents left to work in the field. Her photo went viral on the internet.
10 June 2021: Nagaland Assembly speaker nominated into ‘Committee of the Presiding Officers’
Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Om Birla, nominated Nagaland Legislative Assembly (NLA) speaker Sharingain Longkumer into the Committee of the Presiding Officers to review the powers of presiding officers under the Tenth Schedule of the Constitution.
Committee of the Presiding Officers is headed by the Speaker of Rajasthan Legislative Assembly, Dr CP Joshi as chairperson; Dr Surjya Narayana Patro, Speaker, Odisha Legislative Assembly, Vishweshwar Hedge Kageri, speaker of Karnataka Legislative Assembly, and Sharingain Longkumer, NLA speaker as members.
27 June 2021
3 villages in Nagaland with 100% vaccination mentioned in Modi’s Maan Ki Baat
- Nagaland’s first three villages to achieve 100% COVID-19 vaccination was mentioned in the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Mann Ki Baat with the nation on 27 June 2021.
- The three villages which achieved 100% vaccination for all eligible beneficiaries are :
(1) Nutsü village in Kiphire district,
(2) Sapotimi village under Suruhuto block in Zunheboto district and
(3) Phuye Old village also under Suruhuto block in Zunheboto district.
30 June 2021
Nagaland declared ‘disturbed area’ for 6 more months under AFSPA
- The Union Ministry for Home Affairs in a notification declared Nagaland state as a ‘disturbed area’ and extended the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Nagaland for six more months till 31st December 2021.