4 April 2019: 75th anniversary of the Battle of Kohima
- 75th anniversary of the Battle of Kohima was held at “Regional Centre of Excellence for Music & Performing Arts” in Jotsoma
- Theme: ‘Remembrance, Reconciliation, and Rebirth.’
- The Battle of Kohima was fought in stages from April 4 to June 22, 1944 between the Japanese troops and the British force.
- The battle is often referred to as the ‘Stalingrad of the East.’
- Key representative from UK and Japan:
- Kenji Hiramatsu, the Japanese Ambassador to India.
- British High Commissioner to India, Sir Dominic Anthony Gerard Asquith KCMG
5 April 2019 : 4687 Konyak Women perform “Largest Traditional Konyak Dance” in an attempt to enter Guiness World Record
- Record Title: Largest Traditional Konyak Dance
- How Many: 4687 participants
- When: 5 April 2019
- Where: Mon, Nagaland, India
- Record Holder: Konyak Union
“The largest traditional Konyak dance consists of 4687 participants and was achieved by the Konyak Union (India)in Monday, Nagaland, India, on 5 April 2019.”
The event was held during the Konyak “Aoleang Monyu -cum- Mini-Hornbill” festival in Mon Town, Nagaland. The performance comprising of folk song and dance in full Konyak traditional attire for 5 minutes and 2 seconds.
9 April 2019: “Gordon Graham Prize for Naga Literature” launched
- Award is launched by the “Kohima Educational Trust (KET)-UK / Kohima Educational Society (KES) – the Nagaland counterpart of the KET.
- The award is named after Gordon Graham, who fought at the Battle of Kohima as a young captain of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders in the British 2nd Division.
- Gordon Graham initiated and founded the Kohima Educational Trust (KET) a charitable educational trust in the UK in 2004 to assist with the education of the descendants of the Naga allies who helped the British to win the Battle of Kohima, now voted the most significant battle in the history of Britain.
- First recipients of “Gordon Graham Prize for Naga Literature” 2019:
- Easterine Kire: for her novel (fiction category) “When the River sleeps”
- Kethoser Aniu Kevichusa: for his book (non-fiction) – “Forgiveness and Politics”
11 April 2019: Lok Sabha and Bye-Election to Nagaland Legislative Assembly 2019 held in Nagaland
Election to the lone Lok Sabha seat from Nagaland and Bye-Election for 26th Aonglenden A/C Nagaland Legislative Assembly 2019 was held in Nagaland on 11 April 2019
- Single phase election
- Total number of voter and pooling stations for Lok Sabha election 2019 in Nagaland
- 12, 13, 777 voters ( 6, 15,274 are males and 5, 98, 503 females.)
- 2227 polling stations
- Total number of voter and pooling stations for 26th Aonglenden A/C 2019 election:
- 12, 482 voters ( 12, 482. (6192 male and 6290 female))
- 16 polling stations
- Voter Turnout (Provisional, as per CEO Nagaland report dated 11 April 2019)
- 78.67% voter turnout in LS polls
- 84.3% turnout in bye-election
- As per notification issued by ECI in February 2019, “photo voter slips” alone is not a valid stand-alone identification document for voting.
More information on : Lok Sabha Election in Nagaland and 26th Aonglenden A/C bye-election 2019
22 April 2019: Nagaland’s first Virtual Reality (VR) Lounge goes live at The Hammock Resort, New Wokha
- The first ever Virtual Reality (VR) Lounge in Nagaland was opened to public on April 22 at The Hammock Resort, New Wokha.
- The experiences currently available at the VR Lounge include fun combat simulations, racing simulations, flying simulations, and many more. Some of the experiences involve the use of real-life simulation peripherals like racing wheels with shifters and pedals for driving or racing.
26 April 2019: History for Nagaland NCC – first batch of Nagaland NCC Cadets to flew a sortie in Virus SW-80 aircraft of NCC on April 26
- Cdt L V Thotnganing became the first Senior Division cadet to fly a sortie in Virus SW-80 aircraft of NCC
- Cdt Senchumbeni became the first girl of NCC Nagaland to fly a sortie with the Commanding Officer Wing Commander Ganesh Sawant of No 1 Nagaland Air Squadron NCC Dimapur.
- In air operations, an operational flight by one aircraft is known as ‘sortie’.