Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – March 2020
20 March 2020: Nagaland State Govt. invokes the Nagaland Epidemic Disease (COVID-19) Regulations 2020
- Nagaland State Govt. invoked the Nagaland Epidemic Disease (COVID-19) Regulations 2020 for the whole of Nagaland w.e.f. March 18, 2020.
22 March 2020: Coronavirus | Nagaland enters indefinite lockdown, sealing of borders
Nagaland responded to the “janata curfew” call by Prime Minister Narendra Modi by ordering lockdown and sealing of borders from the midnight of March 23, 2020.
Nagaland’s Chief Secretary Temjen Toy on Sunday issued the order restricting the movement of people and all vehicles, except those engaged in essential services, indefinitely from the midnight of March 23. All government offices, shops and business establishments barring those specified as essential, have also been asked to shut down as a precautionary measure against COVID-19.
25 March 2020: Former minister Dr. TM Lotha passes away
Former minister, Dr. T Myingthungo Lotha, passed away after a brief illness on March 25, at 11 p.m. at Dr. Motsuo Memorial Hospital, Wokha town. He was 68.
Born in Longsa village, Lotha studied medicine at Assam Medical College and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Calcutta, and became a government assistant surgeon in 1977. He later joined active politics and contested the 6th general election held in November 1987 as an Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NNDP) candidate from 38th Wokha Assembly Constituency but lost. Later, he successfully contested the general elections of 1989 (Nagaland People’s Council), 2003 and 2013 (Nationalist Congress Party) . Dr.Lotha held several portfolios including home, medical, housing, fire services, and treasuries & accounts, relief and rehabilitation.
Dr. TM Lotha was also a founding member of Naga Hoho.
Condolences to the family of the bereaved, Dr. T.M. Lotha, who served the people of the State as a Cabinet Minister and also in various capacities. May he rest in peace! pic.twitter.com/Ki3Y3Lyg7n
— MyGov Nagaland (@MyGovNagaland) March 26, 2020
28 March 2020: Nagaland launches ‘Self declaration COVID-19 Nagaland App’
‘Self declaration COVID-19 Nagaland App’ launched by Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio 28 March 2020.
About the ‘Self declaration COVID-19 Nagaland App’:
- Purpose: record, tracking & surveillance
- App by Nagaland Health Project, Dept. of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of Nagaland.
- Mandatory registration for any person who entered Nagaland after March 6, 2020. Non-compliance is a punishable offence under “Epidemic disease Act 1897.”
- Android users can download the nCOVID-19 App from https://nagalandhealthproject.org . For IOS users, there is no app. Access this link to register – https://www.nagalandhealthproject.org/covid/login-user.php.