Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – August 2022
11 August 2022: Official logo of the Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022
Nagaland Olympic Association (NOA) released the official logo of the Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022 scheduled to be held from August 22 to the 27th August 2022 under the theme “Stronger Together”.
The games are scheduled to include 11 disciplines namely – archery, athletics, boxing, badminton, basketball, football, lawn tennis, shooting sports, table tennis, taekwondo and wushu.
As of 20 August 2022, Nagaland Olympic Association (NOA) has received 1894 total participants from 16 districts out of which 1615 are athletes and 279 are team managers and coaches, as per news reports.
24 August 2022: Nagaland’s Khonoma Village gets Silver Award for Best Offbeat Destination in India by Outlook Traveller
Khonoma Village was awarded the Silver Award for Best Offbeat Destination in India by Outlook Traveller. Kohima goes to Khonoma, Nagaland. Khonoma is a village in Kohima district of Nagaland, which is also the first green village in India.
The Gold Award for Best Offbeat Destination in India was awarded to Gurez, Jammu & Kashmir.
Visit outlookindia here to know more about Outlook Traveller Award 2022, award categories and other winners.
26 August 2022: Nagaland gets 2nd Railway Station after 119 years, CM Rio Flags Off Donyi Polo Express
Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio flagged off the ‘Donyi Polo Express‘ from Shokhuvi Station on 26 August 2022.
This is the second railway station in Nagaland after Dimapur railway station. With this Nagaland got its second railway station on the Dhansari-Shokhuvi railway line after a gap of 119 years since Dimapur railway station was opened in 1903.
The line is expected to be extended further up to Zubza and to New Kohima and onward to Imphal in order to fulfil the commitment of the Centre to connect all capitals with railway line.
- The 15817/15818 Donyi Polo Express, which used to run between Guwahati and Naharlagun (Arunachal Pradesh), is now extended to Shokhuvi.
- Henceforth, the Donyi Polo Express will run daily train service between Shokhuvi and Naharlagun (Arunachal Pradesh).
- The train will cover a distance of 440 km in 13 hrs and 40 mins.
- It will have stoppages at Dhansiri, Diphu, Lumding, Lanka, Hojai, and Chaparmukh stations in its extended service between Shukhovi and Guwahati.
27 August 2022: 2nd Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022 concluded
2nd Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022 was scheduled from 22 August to the 27 August 2022 with 11 disciplines namely – archery, athletics, boxing, badminton, basketball, football, lawn tennis, shooting sports, table tennis, taekwondo and wushu.
Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022 was organized under the aegis of Nagaland Olympic Association (NOA) under the theme “Stronger Together“.
There were three venues for the games:
- Longleng (badminton),
- Dimapur (Lawn Tennis & Shooting Sports), and
- Kohima (Archery, Athletics, Boxing, Basketball, Football, Table Tennis, and Taekwondo & Wushu.)
The Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022 concluded on 27th August 2022. Kohima district emerged the overall champion.
The final medal tally of Nagaland Olympic & Paralympic Games 2022:
- Team Champion trophy: Kohima district – topped the medal tally with 29 Gold, 23 Silver and 18 Bronze.
- 1st Runner –up (Team championship trophy): Phek district
- 2nd Runner –up (Team championship trophy): Dimapur district
- Outstanding Sportsman award: Zhokhoto Demo of Phek district for winning 5 Gold medals in Archery.
- Outstanding Sportswoman award : Tsuchoi of Noklak district. She won 5 Gold Medals- 3 Gold medals in Individual events-1500 meters, 5000 meters and 10,000 meters.
- Olympic Fair Play Trophy : Mokokchung district
- Spirit of Olympics award: Peren and Phek district
27 August 2022: Kenei Ritse crowned Miss Phek 2022
- Kenei Ritse was crowned the title – Miss Phek 2022 at the contest held at Meluri on August 26 last.
- Avitsavi Nyusou and Luthono Resüh were adjudged 1st and 2nd runner up respectively.
27 August 2022: Nagaland IT Department wins Technology Sabha award
Nagaland IT Department wins Technology Sabha award in the category of Enterprise Applications’ from Indian Express Group and Express Computers.
The award was received by Principal Secretary for IT, Power and Chief Minister Office, Nagaland, K D Vizo. The event Technology Sabha 2022 was organized in Kolkata on 26 August by the Indian Express Group, under the theme ‘Taking the next digital leap by raising the bar for e-Governance’.
27 August 2022: ENPO resolve to boycott elections and demand for Frontier Nagaland state
Eastern Nagaland Peoples’ Organisation’s (ENPO) put up fresh demand for ‘Frontier Nagaland’ state carved out of present Nagaland state. It resolved to boycott upcoming elections – Parliamentary elections as well as the state Assembly elections – if its demand for a separate state is not fulfilled.
ENPO is a joint forum comprising of the following tribal organisations of Eastern Nagaland – Chang Khulei Setshang (CKS), Khiamniungan Tribal Council (KTC), Konyak Union (KU), Phom Peoples’ Council (PPC), United Sangtam Likhum Pumji (USLP), Tikhir Tribal Council (TTC) and Yimkhiung Tribal Council (YTC).