Facts about Sumi Baptist Church Zunheboto (SBCZ):
- Largest Baptist Church in Asia
- Denomination: Baptist
- Affiliation: Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India (CBCNEI)
- Church founded: 1942
- Laying of foundation stone: May 7, 2007.
- Completion date: March 31, 2017
- Time taken to built: 10 years
- Inauguration: April 22, 2017
- Dedicated by Rev. Dr. Solomon Rongpi, General Secretary of the Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India on 22 April 2017
- Workforce: 2,000
- Cost: Rs 36 crore (around $5.56 million)
- Seating capacity: 8,500 people
- Height above sea level: 1864.9m above sea level
- Location: 26.1° N and 94.52″ E.
- Dimensions: Length 203 ft, Breadth 153 ft, Height 166 ft.
- Total area (plinth area): 23,73,476 Sq.ft.
- The Architect: Honoholi K. Chishi-Zhimomi of M/s. Akitektura
- The Engineer: M/s. Map Project Services Pvt. Ltd Kolkata
- Church Bell: imported from Poland, 500 kg, 93% brass and 7% tin
- Church Bell cost: Rs. 15 Lakh
- Number of storey and rooms: 9 storeys, 27 rooms
You may also like to know:
Smallest, Tallest and the Biggest Churches in the World
Smallest church in the world
Cross Island Chapel, Oneida, New York
Built: 1989, in the middle of a pond
Floor Area: 28.68 square feet
Seating Capacity: 3 people (can accommodate only the minister, bride and groom if it’s a wedding)
Tallest church building in the world
Ulm Minster, Germany
Built: 1377 – 1890
Height: 161.5 m (530 ft)
Largest / Biggest church building in the world:
St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
Denomination: Catholic (Latin)
Area: 15,160 sq.m (interior), 21,095 sq.m (exterior)
Note: In many news reports “Sumi Baptist Church Zunheboto ” has been mentioned as the largest church in Asia, which may not be correct in terms of size or even seating capacity. There are also variations in how one decides on biggest / largest.
The Taal Basilica, Taal, Batangas in the Philippines, is considered to be the largest church in the Philippines and in Asia, standing 88.6 metres (291 ft) long and 48 metres (157 ft) wide.
Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, South Korea is a Pentecostal church affiliated with the Assemblies of God. With about 480,000 members (2015), it is the largest Pentecostal Christian congregation in South Korea, and the world.