Nagaland Current Affairs Digest – October 2019
Current Affairs on Nagaland in brief.
1 October 2019: Social activist Niketu Iralu and educationist Dr P Kilemsungla conferred with the prestigious state level award for distinguished senior citizens
- Social activist Niketu Iralu and educationist Dr P Kilemsungla have been conferred with the prestigious state level award for distinguished senior citizens in recognition of their exemplary and dedicated services to the humanity throughout their life. The award ceremony was held during the observance of International Day of Older Persons at Hotel Japfu, organized by department of social welfare, Nagaland.
- [Read more about their life, work and accomplishments here]
4 October 2019: Shanjothung Ngullie from Kendriya Vidyalaya School Kohima wins the 8th Nagaland Spelling Bee Championship 2019
- Shanjothung Ngullie from Kendriya Vidyalaya School Kohima emerged the champion of the 8th Nagaland Spelling Bee Championship 2019. Shanjothung Ngullie correctly spelled two words “Requiem” and “Valetudinarian” consecutively to claim the champion title and received a cash prize of Rs 60,000.
- The competition was organized by Fountain Club Kohima in partnership with State Council of Educational Research & Training (SCERT). The competition was held from October 3 to 4 at Capital Convention Centre Kohima.
- Second Place: Aloino Hope from Olympic Higher Secondary School Zunheboto
- Third Place: Aneidi Sanio from Baptist Mission School Kohima
23 October 2019: UGC extends autonomous status of Patkai Christian College
- UGC extends autonomous status of Patkai Christian College.
- Patkai Christian College (Autonomous) is a UGC conferred ‘Centre with Potential for Excellence’ college, with ‘A’ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- The first college in the North East to be granted autonomous status.
23 October 2019: NStCB Ltd targets Rs 1500 lakh profit for 2019-20
- Nagaland State Cooperative bank (NStCB) Ltd targets Rs 1500 lakh profit for 2019-20.
- Nagaland State Cooperative bank (NStCB) Ltd reported a profit of Rs 914.85 lakh for the financial year 2018-19 as on March 31, 2019.
24 October 2019: Former Kilo Kilonser of the NSCN (IM) joins Naga National Political Groups (WC NNPGs)
- Former Kilo Kilonser of the NSCN (IM), Hukavi Yepthomi along with 16 other NSCN (IM) functionaries joined the Working Committee of 7 Naga National Political Groups (WC NNPGs) that is also in talks with the Government of India (GoI) to resolve the Indo-Naga political issue.
25 October 2019: RD block Jakhama received the best block under Kohima District
- RD block Jakhama received the best block among the seven blocks under Kohima DRDA.
- The ‘Best VDB award’ function was initiated by District Rural Development Agency (DRDA), Kohima district.
26 October 2019: Nagaland House in Shillong celebrates golden jubilee
- Nagaland House ( ‘Home Away From Home’ ) in Shillong celebrates golden jubilee on 26th October 2019.
- Nagaland House, Shillong located at Nongrim Hills, is a state-run government guest house established in the year 1969 with the objective of providing accommodation to visiting VVIPs/VIPs/ govt officials and the people of Nagaland in general.
26 October 2019: Methaneilie Jutakhrie, Silas Kikon conferred NMC award for excellence in music
- Methaneilie Jutakhrie, Silas Kikon conferred NMC award for excellence in music during the two-day long Tribute Concert under the auspices of Naga Musicians Collective (NMC) at The Heritage, Kohima. This concert mark the coming together of various veteran musicians to pay respects through music in loving memory of those departed musicians friends.
- Methaneilie Jutakhrie Solo of T Khel, Kohima village: in recognition of his contribution towards the progress and development of music in Nagaland.
Methaneilie has about 200 original songs and 25 albums to his credit.
- Silas Kikon of Lakhuti village, Wokha district: A renowned Lotha musician during the 80s, he is famously remembered for his hits song ‘Choro Kupi’ and his contribution towards the promotion of Lotha songs. He passed away on June 25, 2016.
29 October 2019: 22 senior members of the NSCN (IM) group from eastern Nagaland reportedly defected to join NSCN (Unification) faction on 28 October 2019.
- Hukavi Yepthomi, the former ‘kilo kilonser’ (home minister) in NSCN (IM) and a current member of the negotiating team from NSCN-IM with the Centre, decided to leave the group and join the working committee of the Naga National Political Groups (NNPG) last week.
- National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Unification (NSCN-U) was formed on November 23, 2007 with an inter-factional ‘truce agreement’ signed between the few cadres and leaders of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM) and the rival National Socialist Council of Nagaland–Khaplang (NSCN-K) at Hovishe under Niuland sub-division in the Dimapur district.
31 October 2019: Three Months deadline set by Modi Government to end Naga Peace Talks ends without solution yet
- The deadline set by Modi Government to find solution to the prolonged Naga solution issues ends without a solution yet.
- The NSCN (IM) and the GoI are reportedly stuck on demand for Naga Flag and separate Constitution.
- Meanwhile, there is parallel negotiations on-going with the other factions which are apart of the NAGA NATIONAL POLITICAL GROUPS (WC NNPGS).