Nagaland Current Affairs Digest March 2019: Current Affairs in brief
1 March 2019: First Intensive Mithun Project in North East India implemented in Lerie Farm, Kohima
- The first Intensive Mithun Project in North East India has been implemented in Lerie Farm, Kohima by Nagaland Livestock Development Board (NLDB), under the State’s Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services (AH & Vety Services) Department.
- The Mithun project is first in India, apart from Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
2 March 2019: Google News Initiative (GNI) trains journalists in Kohima under “Covering India’s Election” theme.
- Ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Google News Initiative (GNI) in partnership with DataLeads and Internews trained journalists in Kohima.
- The bootcamp themed “PollCheck: Covering India’s Election“, is a training series to support journalists covering India’s election.
- Google is hosting the trainings across 30 cities including Kohima who will be covering the forthcoming elections.
- The bootcamp was held on March 2 at the Eastgate Hotel. The training covers: online verification and fact-checking, journalist digital safety and security, YouTube for elections coverage and data visualization for elections.
3 March 2019: YouthNet Nagaland received prestigious BrittWorldWide (BWW) Parivartan India ‘Inspire Awards 2018-19’
- YouthNet Nagaland received prestigious BrittWorldWide (BWW) Parivartan India ‘Inspire Awards 2018-19’ under Youth Empowerment Category on March 3 on the occasion of Free Enterprise Day 2019 held at Guwahati.
3 March 2019: DUDA initiates Anghya Brand
- Department of Under Developed Areas (DUDA) initiated the Anghya brand and Anghya Marketing Network, aiming to provide livelihood solution to farmers, entrepreneurs, unemployed youth of Eastern Nagaland according to the Annual Administrative Report (2018-19) of DUDA department tabled at the State Assembly session held recently.
- Retail infrastructure established in Mon, Tuensang, Longleng, Kiphire and Tseipama.
- Anghya marketing and livelihood solution has two levels of retail outlets: The Anghya super store and the main Anghya retail shops which provide facilities for storage and warehousing capacity.
8 March 2019: Founder of YouthNet, Hekani Jakhalu Kense was awarded the Nari Shakti Puruskar Award
- Founder of YouthNet, Hekani Jakhalu Kense was awarded the Nari Shakti Puruskar Award from the President of India Ram Nath Kovind at Rastrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on International Women’s day on March 8.
- Nari Shakti Puruskar is the highest civilian honour for women in India and she was among 44 women from different backgrounds honoured with the award this year. Hekani was the only recipient from the Northeast this year.
- Other recipients of Nari Shakti Puruskar award from Nagaland includes Bano Haralu (2016), Zuboni Humtsoe (2016).
10 March 2019: Election Commission declares election dates for the 17th Lok Sabha elections.
- The Lok Sabha election in Nagaland to be on conducted in a single phase on 11 April 2019. The counting of votes will be on May 23, 2019.
28 March 2019: Brief Info on the Lok Sabha and 26th Aonglenden A/C elections 2019 Nagaland
- Election scheduled on 11 April 2019
- Last date of withdrawal for Lok Sabha and 26th Aonglenden A/C elections 2019 : 28 March 2019
- Candidates from Nagaland for General Election to Lok Sabha 2019
- K L Chishi (INC)
- Tokheho Yepthomi (NDPP)
- Dr M M ThromwaKonyak (IND)
- Hayithung Tungoe (NPP)
- Two candidates to finally contest for the 26th Aonglenden A/C elections 2019:
- Sharingain Longkumer (NDPP)
- Obendangba (INC)
- Alemjongshi (INC) – withdrew
- Toshipokba (NPF) – withdrew
- Tinu Lkr (NPP) – withdrew
- Lok Sabha election 2019 : 2227 polling stations and 12, 13, 777 voters ( 6, 15,274 are males and 5, 98, 503 females.)
- 26th Aonglenden A/C 2019 election: 16 polling stations and 12, 482 voters ( 12, 482. (6192 male and 6290 female))
- Polling stations and number of electorates- Lok Sabha and 26th Aonglenden A/C elections 2019
- List of Contesting Candidates – Bye Election to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly, 2019
- List of Contesting Candidates – Election to the Lok Sabha from 1 – Nagaland Parliamentary constituency
29 march 2019: Mayang Lima sworn in as Nagaland’s first Upa-Lokayukta
- Principal District & Session Judge (Retd) Mayang Lima was sworn as the Nagaland’s first Upa-Lokayukta at a ceremony held at Naga Bhavan, Raj Bhavan Kohima on 29 March 2019.
- Mayang Lima will hold the office of the Upa-Lokayukta of Nagaland for a term of five years or till he attains the age of 70 which ever is earlier.
- Lima was the former registrar of the Kohima bench of the Gauhati High Court.
- Upa-Lokayuktas are appointed after consultation with the Lokayukta.
- Justice Uma Nath Singh was appointed as the first Lokayukta of Nagaland on February 22, 2019.
30 March 2019: Forest guard of Fakim Wildlife Sanctuary in Kiphire, Alemba Yimchunger awarded ‘Earth Day Network Star’ by international environmental NGO, Earth Day Network, USA
- Alemba Yimchunger, a Forest guard of Fakim Wildlife Sanctuary in Kiphire, Nagaland has been declared ‘Earth Day Network Star’ by international environmental NGO called Earth Day Network, USA for his contribution in conserving and protecting biodiversity in Nagaland.
- The NGO that engages with over 50,000 organisations and spread across 195 countries gives Earth Day Network Star award to individuals in recognition of excellent work in the environmental field, said an update from director of Protect our species campaign, Earth Day Net work.
- “In his 30 years of service, Mr. Alemba Yimchunger has played a major role in protection of forests and wild animals in and around Fakim sanctuary,” said M. Lokeswara Rao, director of the Network’s species protection campaign.
Earth Day Network’s mission is to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide. The first Earth Day on April 22, 1970, activated 20 million Americans from all walks of life and is widely credited with launching the modern environmental movement.